Echo reading is a strategy used to support readers to improve their reading fluency from you, the adult, as the model. Reading fluently means that children read with pace, accuracy and appropriate expression. When echo reading, the adult or lead reader reads out a short text and the child echoes (repeats) it back.
Please find a number of different recommended reading lists suitable for children in KS1. These books are great to share and read together with the children.
100 Recommended Reads for Year 1 and 2
The School Reading List
100 Books to read in EYFS and KS1
Summer Reading Challenge
The Summer Reading Challenge:
- Significantly improves reading confidence and independence
- Ensures pupils are ready for their return to school
- Aids the successful transition between year groups and key stages
- Contributes to all pupils’ achievement regardless of reading level
- Encourages extra-curricular activity and family engagement with reading
- Develops links between your school, the library and the wider community
Each year the Summer Reading Challenge has a new theme. For 2023, The Reading Agency is teaming up with Youth Sport Trust for ‘’ a sports and games-themed challenge to encourage play and participation.
How many books will you read this summer?